It is Colin Ashworth we have to thank for our excellent quarterly journal which is a vital aspect of PDFHS. It provides members local and far flung with the opportunity to share family history and learn from one another.
However, Colin has decided that he now needs to give up this role following publication of the December Journal and we are seeking someone to fill his shoes. We really look forward to hearing from a willing volunteer to take on this important task.
A Job Description is below. If you would like to be considered for the role or find out more about it, please email the Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org by 16th October.
The Journal Editor:
- Produces a Journal in Microsoft Publisher once a quarter. The deadline is 9th of the month before publication in order to allow time for the proof to be read.
- The Journal is converted into a PDF and sent to the printer. The Membership Secretary tells the Editor how many Journals to order.
- A slightly different PDF file is created for our website version and for non-UK readers.
- The March Journal contains a subscription renewal reminder.
- Periodically, Journals need to include AGM minutes and other ‘official’ articles.
- Reports on society meetings are sought from authors, where possible.
- Stories received for inclusion are checked for style and factual accuracy, where possible.
- If significant changes need to be made to an article the Editor liaises with the author.
- Only images which are not in copyright are included in the Journal.
The following could be undertaken by other Society members.
- Once Printed Journals are received the Editor stuffs them into envelopes and posts them off.
- If possible the Editor will take Journals to the society meeting for distribution.